- Teach one of your One Day Teaching/Learning Plan (any of the five) from your unit plan. The lesson plan that I chose to teach was the Tuesday lesson plan from Assignment 2A, Los Verbos Reflexivos. This lesson consists of three parts: pre-assessment, direct instruction, and practice. The pre-assessment will be administered in form of an “inicio” or warm-up. I will write a total of 6 verbs on the board. There will be 2 of each –ar, -er, and –ir verbs. Students will need to conjugate these regular verbs with each pronoun (yo, tu, usted/el/ella, nosotros, and ustedes). After completion I will have students come up to the board and write their answers. The direct instruction will directly follow the warm-up. The DI will consist of a PowerPoint presentation going over the various parts and usages of reflexive verbs and pronouns. Imbedded in the instruction are various sentences using conjugated reflexive verbs. Students will be called on to read the sentence in voz alta (out loud). Following the students completion of the sentence, the class will repeat the sentence as a whole. The final part will require students to complete an activity in the book. The activity provides students with a variety of sentences with context clues as to which reflexive verb should fill in the blank and how they should conjugate it.
- Report findings from your
Pre- Ongoing and Post- assessment tasks. The pre-assessment went as
planned. It helped the students use
the prior knowledge of verb conjugations in the present tense for each
type of verb ending (-ar, -er, -ir).
The students did a good job demonstrating their knowledge of verb
conjugations by coming up to the board, when called up, to write out their
answer for on the verbs from the inicio.
The pre-assessment help set the stage for the PowerPoint
presentation that took place.
During the PPT I was able to maintain the attention of the students
by calling on them to read a sentence containing a conjugated reflexive
verb out loud. These sentences appeared on every third slide. I used popsicle sticks to make sure that
I was not calling on the same student twice. This kept things random and ensured that
each student was paying attention. At the end of the presentation I had
students conjugate 4 reflexive verbs: afeitarse, acostarse, ponerse, and
irse. This ongoing assessment
throughout the presentation with out loud reading followed by verb
conjugations allowed me to accurately assess the students verbal pronunciation
skills as well as their ability to correctly conjugate reflexive verbs in the
present tense and using the proper reflexive pronoun. I believe the assessments were accurate
measuring sticks with regards to their progression with the unit of
study. The post assessment required
the students demonstrate their reading comprehension as well as their
knowledge of conjugations. They
completed an activity in the textbook which provided 8 sentences with
blanks. The sentences provided
enough context clues to help the students determine which verb they should
use and how they should conjugate it.
Most of the students had a good grasp on the activity, but some
seem to struggle with comprehending what the sentence was saying in the target
language. I maintained proximity
and was there to assist them when needed.
I also had students that were successful work as tutors for those
that were struggling.
- Reflect upon your teaching
experience. Ask yourself: A. What did you learn? B. What would you change?
C. What did you enjoy? I learned that I need to do a better job
and managing my time. I tend to
over plan for the allotted period time, which isn’t always a bad
thing. I suppose it is better than
the alternative, which is under planning.
I also learned that, while the majority of students were engaged, I
still had a handful that were just out in dream land thinking of who knows
what. It is always a goal of mine
to maintain the attention of all of my students. I think that I could change the way in
which I present things. I could
bring a little bit more energy with my voice and mannerisms to help keep
things a little more lively. I did
really enjoy the instruction portion of the lesson though. It’s always fun to talk and teach about
something of which you are passionate and knowledgeable. I just need to be careful to not get a
on a soapbox and forget that there are actually human beings listening to
me that might not find Spanish as interesting as I do!
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Assignment 3B-Field Experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment